Responsibilities of postdoctoral fellows
Appointment as a postdoctoral scholar imposes responsibilities on the trainee to the mentor, laboratory colleagues, the department with which they are affiliated, the university and the agency that supports them. These responsibilities include:
- Conscientious discharge of research responsibilities.
- Conformance to ethical standards in research.
- Compliance with good laboratory practices.
- Maintenance of laboratory notebooks and/or other records of research activity.
- Adherence to university and departmental standards and policies regarding the use of isotopes, chemicals, infectious agents, research animals, human subjects as well as other policies regarding workplace safety.
- Initiation of open and timely discussions with the mentor regarding all facets of research.
- Prompt disclosure of information to the mentor regarding the possession of and/or intent to distribute materials, reagents, software, copyrightable and potentially patentable discoveries derived from the research.
- Collegial conduct toward members of the research laboratory and others.
- Compliance with all applicable university policies and the terms of the sponsoring agency’s grant, contract or fellowship stipulations.